Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Simvastatin - "No 'significant benefit' of simvastatin above 20mg"


Image: all-drugs-online.com


So, an update on whether I dispensed my prescription for simvastatin.

Yup.


I was ready to drop the 40mg tablet into my mouth after my evening meal.

But... the power of the Internet intervened... or rather those folks at the MHRA did.

A report on today's Pulse website runs with the headline, 'No 'significant benefit' of simvastatin above 20mg, says drugs regulator.'

Pulse adds:

The UK medicines regulator is set to run into conflict with NICE guidance by advising there is ‘no significant benefit’ in using doses of simvastatin over 20 mg.

A spokesperson from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency told Pulse they were intending to issue a revised label for simvastatin in the next few weeks after a review raised concerns over the risk of myopathy with the 80 mg dose.

The spokesperson also said the review had concluded there was little evidence doses over 20 mg provided any additional benefit.

Full story here

Maybe the Gods are on my side and it was fate that this matter should be brought to my attention [Special thanks to Cyndi, who is a regular poster on the UK Survivors forum]

It's a sorry state of affairs when one has to learn that the medicine they were prescribed less than 48 hours ago has been deemed ineffective over 20mg doses by the UK Medicine's Regulator.

I bet my left nut my new doctor is unaware of this.

Further evidence that the regulatory system here in the UK is too slow in getting the message out to professionals regarding the drugs you and I take.

A quick search on the MHRA web site shows nothing about this announcement by Pulse. In fact only a month ago, the MHRA uploaded the following document to their database. It states quite clearly:

"Simvastatin 10mg, 20mg, 40mg and 80mg film-coated tablets raised no clinically significant safety concerns and it was, therefore, judged that the benefits of using these products outweigh the risks; hence Marketing Authorisations have been granted."

This on page 2 of a 34 page document. I really cannot be bothered to continue reading through the rest of it. If there is a warning it should have been on the first two pages anyway.

So, what do I do?

Do I halve my 40mg tablet or just not bother taking them at all.

Christ knows how long the MHRA have known about this.

What a complete sham of an organisation!

It's enough to send one's blood pressure and cholesterol levels rising!

You can read more about them in my new book, The Evidence, However, Is Clear...The Seroxat Scandal.

Fid

ORDER THE PAPERBACK
'THE EVIDENCE, HOWEVER, IS CLEAR...THE SEROXAT SCANDAL' By Bob Fiddaman
SIGNED COPIES HERE OR UNSIGNED FROM CHIPMUNKA PUBLISHING

1 comment:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.