Zantac Lawsuit


Researching drug company and regulatory malfeasance for over 16 years
Humanist, humorist

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Q&A With My Dad






As part of the 10 year celebrations of this blog I've been asking people who have been part of my journey to take part in a Q&A session with me. My dad (above) has obviously been a part of that journey. Dad visits and stays with me once every three weeks (depending on if my grandchildren are staying) ~ he's become quite popular down my local, one customer, and friend, Linda, always gives him a kiss when she sees him, she even buys him boxes of ready-made porridge. Her boyfriend, Jordan, refers to my dad as "sir", such is the respect they hold for him.

Dad, sadly, lost my mom a few years back - obviously we were all devastated by her death, none more so than dad as he and mom were just one year shy of their 50th wedding anniversary.

Dad was born and raised in Birmingham during a period when times were hard, bread and dripping being part of the staple diet back then. He always tells me that he is proud of the work I do - for that I am eternally grateful.


Here's my dad.




Full name: Douglas Richard Fiddaman
Age: 83
Location: Alcester, Warwickshire



Q: Dad, has you way of thinking about pharmaceutical companies and their wares changed since I became an advocate/activist?


A:  As far as antidepressants go, yes. I never really understood exactly how many people were prescribed these types of drugs until you brought it to my attention.


--

Q: When you were young how was depression viewed?

A: You just got over it, you know, people would say, "You'll be alright" ~ and we did. We didn't have much back then, we made our own entertainment. Depression was pretty much kicked into the curb with an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement. There was no medicine for it.
--

Q: Do you believe that people who are depressed have a disease of the brain?

A: I wouldn't have thought so, there's nothing to suggest that they do. There are varying degrees of depression but I don't believe it's a disease of the brain.
--


Q: When mom died you went through a period of mourning. Many people are given antidepressants when they are mourning ~ did you consider this option, if not, why?

A: No, mourning is a process that you just go through. It took a long time to get over your mom's death. I still get sad moments, I think about her every day, she's been gone 8 years now. It's inevitable that everyone will experience a state of mourning in their lives - you don't need antidepressants, you just need time.

--

Q: Have you, at any time in your life, been offered antidepressants by a healthcare professional?

A: No.

--

Q: What is your claim to fame?

A: I once met Ian Carmichael, the actor, John Slater, another actor, and Billie Holliday, the blues singer. I was a night porter working in a hotel (see pic below) and I was told to  take a drink up to her room. A man came to the door, she was in bed, she was the worse for wear - she looked up from her bed and acknowledged me. I didn't know who she was at the time.



--

Q: Who or what do you think is responsible when someone dies as an adverse reaction to a prescription drug?

A: If it's a prescription drug then the company that produce that drug should be called into question as should the healthcare professional who prescribed it.

--

Q: Difficult question, but what is your fondest memory of mom?

A: Your mom always had my interests at heart, always looked after me, we never argued about money. I knew 100% that I was loved by your mom, there are not many people who can say that. So, my fondest memory, I guess, would be that. I knew that she loved me 100% and I was very grateful for that.

--



Q: Finally Dad, some personal questions...

1. What book are you currently reading?

A: Webster's International Encyclopedia, specifically about the US states.

2. What was the last CD you listened to (in full)?

A: A compilation of Irish artists - Noreen Bawn being my favourite song.

3. What is the best movie you have seen this year?

A: Wild with Reese Witherspoon

4. What country would you most like to visit?

A: Germany because that's where the Fiddaman name comes from.

5. Do you believe in life after death?

A: I am open-minded, I don't believe that there is but I would never say for sure that I am right.





Bob Fiddaman.

Previous Q&A's

Q&A With Ablechild's Sheila Matthews-Gallo

Q&A With Leonie Fennell

Q&A With the "Truthman"

10 Years of Blogging - Q&A With Neil Carlin

No comments:


Please contact me if you would like a guest post considered for publication on my blog.